Sunday, February 12, 2012

Testimonials by the house recipients 2012


Testimonial Emily Magee
Why have you chosen to apply for a Habitat for Humanity House?
One day in the winter of 2010, I was at my volunteer job as a tutor at the Literacy Society of Muskoka.  On the bulletin board was a HFH poster, calling for applicants.  I liked the logo, so I read and copied the phone number, and later requested an application.

After receiving it, I filled it out and submitted.

Three months later, I received a phone call from Habitat requesting a home visit.  I was surprised and very happy to learn that we had been selected as a partner family.

I have learned so much from my experience with Habitat.

What have been the challenges?
Everyone's challenges are different, and the ones that I experienced were juggling my regular job and present home/child care with my required 500 sweat equity hours.

What have been the unexpected joys of this experience ?
The volunteers involved with my build are more than that to me.  They are friends, and I am so grateful to them and for them.

Now that our house is nearly complete it is with mixed emotions in knowing that I will not
see everyone as much as I am accustomed to.
What will owning a home mean for your family?

Owning my own house is like having a living legacy.  It gives security, pride and a sense of belonging in a charming community.
What does “a hand up, not a hand out” mean to you?

Some people think that Habitat for Humanity builds the house, and then gives the house to the recipients.  I tell them this is not the case, and is by no means a hand out.  I have a mortgage like any other homeowner.  The difference of course was being present and fully participating with the build from start to finish, which I see as a huge advantage that I will always remember.

Emily Magee

No comments: